Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Serving in Florida


Having worked in the restaurant industry, some of Ehreneich’s experiences really hit close to home. Her descriptions of her co-workers as well as the customers struck a familiar chord. It is because of the things she described and the experiences I have had that now I am sure to be a considerate customer who tips well. My wife worked briefly as a housekeeper, and now makes sure we leave an extra tip for the maids as well. I don’t feel most people can understand her experience with out having worked for $2.13 an hour plus tips. Only two states I know of pay minimum wage and no, Utah is not one of them. When she finally walks out at the end I have actually seen people do this. They just hit a wall and finally realize that there has to be something better out there. I have sincere empathy for the people who work in these types of jobs, and can understand the cycle that many fall into and are often unable to escape.

2 comments:

Susie Q said...

Thank you for the insights- I have never worked as a housekeeper or a waitress and did not realize the frustrations that comes with these jobs. I will be tipping more when I eat out!

Nathan Wolfe said...

That is awesome to hear first hand experience. I as well haven't worked in the food business. I love to hear of people who as you say "hit that wall", they need to know that there is a life outside of a deep fryer.